Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Butterflies Return
I know I am getting old and all, but I had some new energy this week. Back to back nights out! I returned to Philadelphia on a last minute email from Vessela Stoyanova of Fluttr Effect. They would be returning to the place that I first saw them. The cozy, strange little bar called, The Fire. The first time I had seen the band was with the Innovator. That was when he gave me the first tease of the Wobbler Hinterland CD, weeks before it would hit the world. I got a little misty in my reflection. Anyway, the night became a disaster to begin with. After some technical difficulties, Rohario arrived and we headed into the Spring Garden section of the city. I just had this feeling it was going to be a crazy night. But first, the performance. Fluttr Effect played with some of the greatest energy I've ever seen. I have easily seen them 4 times, but this was something totally different. (the most of a 'prog' band in the last 2 years) There was more confidence and energy in this performance. I think for the first time in all my trips to see them, they looked….I don’t know…like…happy. I mean they usually always are, but I think this time, they weren’t as stiff. They were free flowing. They friggin rocked more or less. The room was packed and warm. They featured some new material from their forthcoming album that Kara seemed really honed in on. Anyone can be a singer, but Kara takes it to a totally different level. It’s a show. She is performing. It's art. Troy and Jason were very powerful and seemed to be having ‘fun’ as well. All smiles. Allow me to expain. I certainly don’t want anyone to think that they don’t have fun when they perform, it just seemed this time around, it was special. They were a perfect, driving, powerful, well-oiled machine. I never left their set. Great, great performance. I wonder if they taped it?
The Return To Jim’s
The beer flowed heavily at the Fire. So did the attention I was getting for some reason. Everyone and their brother were talking to me like they knew me, which was cool, including a regular called Nay. She pulled me closer to her seat and I obliged. How can you resist an exotic woman you never met before demanding attention? Insisting I was a construction worker, Roger returned with the idea of motivating to the Olde City Cheesesteak Mecca. There’s only one. Jim’s.
Roger ordered, while all eyes were on me. My boy at the grill just smiled at me. He knew what was up. “You da man....you aint white…you Italian…hahahah” He stole my line! So…we returned home with hot cheesesteaks. MMMMM. It was tasty closing to an interesting night.
The Dillinger Was Used, More Than Once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home