Sunday, April 23, 2006

190
62
It Izz What It Izz
Rain. Lots of it. That was Saturday. A trip through Olde City with a wet back floor. Spring is here, but yet with the rain, spring is here. Make sense? The day was dedicating to being indoors and planning ahead for the show. I was really looking forward to having the band come down. But I was concerned that the weather was going to play a factor. It wasn’t just raining, it was pouring. Not to mention, South Jersey’s 250 year old road system doesn’t cut it in heavy storms. (I.E. the 2004 floods). As I motivated towards the college I spoke with the Galgano brothers in regards to directions. That was when being a local didn’t matter. I hydroplaned and almost drove straight into the Katona Farms on Route 530 at 45 miles per hour. I arrived at the college with severe anxiety. Not because of Izz, but because of the fact the Flyers were losing game one of the playoffs to Buffalo. They should never have playoff games on a Saturday night. Totally distracts me.
The Olive Branch Is Snapped
I am always freaked out to see actual ‘people’ at the college when I arrive on Saturday nights. This time it was a show in the theater called Godspell. This made unloading the band’s equipment a joy. Izz made their way into the station in a smaller form. Anmarie Byrnes, John Galgano, Tom Galgano, Laura Meade, and Paul Bremner. This marked a new beginning to our show as well, a new staffer. Frankie ‘The Fan’ Alferi. Frankie is obsessed with radio and electronics and is an apprentice of Jack Webster, our videographer and other toys guy. This was Frankie’s first test as a staffer to experience my insanity as a tyrannical radio show producer. He passed with flying colors. He, along with Jack took great pictures, helped with soundcheck since JBird had to leave, and provided the end of the show meal. Does it get any cooler than that? The set list was great from Izz. They did the following with ease and confidence:
I Wanna Win
Anything I Can Dream
My River Flows
Light From Your Eyes
Abby's Song
Where I Belong
Late Night Salvation
My Rancocas River Flows
There were a lot of listeners online making requests for other songs of their catalog as well as covers. Not that I mind the covers thing at all, but I could tell at this point Izz would rather do their own music instead. Something I firmly stand behind. I don’t want to hear them do someone else’s music. I get more excited to hear them do something forthcoming, not heard yet.
They were excellent and touched my soul in Where I Belong, Abby’s Song and Late Night Salvation. These were all for personal reasons. Just little footnotes that keep me in tune to why I do this week to week. The gang was very personable as well, even with me screaming when the Flyers tied it up at 2-2 while they were doing soundcheck.
Here was Izz:

Anmarie Byrnes – Beautifully pregnant (pregnant women are sexy, there I said it), wonderful singing, and the wife of Tom Galgano. Cute story how they met….music does wonders doesn’t it? Why can’t that happen to me?

John Galgano – Cool guy, laid back, great voice, hockey fan, sense of humor and despite the madness of the damp weather and cramped studio, kept a smile on his face. Him and fiancee Laura will make a great couple.

Tom Galgano -- Clearly the orchestrator of the project in the sense of 'how things are going to go'. Genius. I think what I admired the most about him is that he reminded me of me. I'm nuerotic and a perfectionist about how the show comes out, and I could totally relate to Tom before, and during the Izz segment on the program. He wants it perfect, and no mistakes. Great qualities that only I could admire. I could see making an album with this guy.

Laura Meade – Besides being stunningly beautiful, Laura is an amazing vocalist. Her solo singing made my hairs stand up on my neck. I would go as far as saying I got misty at the end of their set.

Paul Bremner – This guy has to be a future correspondent for the Gagliarchives. His heavy (Welsh?) accent was the highlight of my night. I had no clue what he was saying half the time, but I will say this, he knew everything that was going on with the show, was loving it, and was fascinated by my radio voice. Go figure?!?? Uhh…Hello Brems…YOU SHOULD BE DOING THIS SHOW.

All in all it was a great night. Jack reflected on Jungle Love, while Frankie sat in the corner and dreamed of future performances. We all went home with smiles on our faces. I had a wet butt though. (no, not that....I have a jeep..) Look It's Frankie!----->

Rest In Peace Doug Walker, I will miss you. But you can play with all the legends now.

This Program Ran 4 Hours and 2 Minutes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was great. Can you put that up for download? Great show Tom, keep it up man.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home