Sunday, July 30, 2006

161
88
The New Ridge
Friday night I decided that the open holes for ideas in my playlist Saturday would be filled with some music that always makes me reminisce of the summer. I knew I wanted to play 4 new releases, but went with a natural ‘1992-1995’ type of program. Which means that I am going to play what I like for a change. So in the midst of me working, and prepping for smoking some meat on Saturday, I decided to go for a drive. It was off to the Flying W in Medford to meet up with Roger and Pete. But like the ass dragger that I am on days I am not working, I arrived late. Pete had just left for home bored, while Roger was off to see Big Bob Lovin’s new pad. I called Roger and found that he couldn’t find the easiest way to get to the new place in Tabernacle. So I sped off past Kirby’s Mill and made my way to Bob’s. I hadn’t been there yet, but knew the road he now lived on waaaaaaaay too well. This was the old route to the land of Ghiorgaye. Roger was a little lost when I called him, (Thank god I wasn’t in the car with him) but assured him he had to be close. Once I got to the vicinity of Bob’s new residence, I called. Bob said I was half a block away.
“You better look for Roger…” he said.
What to my surprise awaited me at the corner? A big old Buick that just had to be Roger. I flashed my high beams and then laughed hysterically. Armageddon must be near for him and I to meet at the same point without knowing it. We checked out Bob’s new place and loved it. Deep in the woods of the old Retreat/Ong’s Hat tract. I really loved it. For the last few years, I've leaned towards wanting to settle here. Watched 3 shooting stars light the sky up. We hung out with Bob and explored his new homestead while Erika, his daughter, prepped herself to leave for England again. She called her dad a dick and slammed the door. We laughed and I left for home.
Where There’s Fire, There’s Smoke Part II
Saturday I woke up surprisingly early en route to get a meat thermometer and a smoker thermometer. I only found the meat thermometer. It was time to use my smoker for the first time. I was a nervous wreck. I had two Cornish Hens I wanted to smoke as a Pilot episode to this soon to be sitcom. Now, if you know me, I skeeve raw chicken. Despise it. I could bathe in a tub of red meat with pulsating blood clots. Wouldn’t bother me in the least. I could play football with a wet Pork loin. Wouldn’t even blink. Chicken? Forget it. I actually feel myself getting weak when I look at it. Trust me, I will eat it, usually if someone else is going to make it. So I was a bit nervous about this. I didn't want to kill anybody...and I'm not a big fan of food poisoning. So, I used a nice Wegman’s chicken rub, and did my best not to throw up on the raw chicken as I coated and cleaned it. Innovator’s number was on speed dial on my cell. I had it cocked and ready. Time to fire up the smoker. I opened my bag of lump charcoal and packed the bottom bowl, while filling the top bowl with just about 4 quarts of water. In the center of the bottom bowl, I placed pre soaked and dried hickory chips. I was a little concerned about this because I had this feeling they weren’t going to stay lit. I rolled up a newspaper to use as my wick, and lit the bowl. Fire! Hmm. It went out. Relight, it went out again. I then realized, you have to crack the smoker door on the side just a little to allow the oxygen to get in. Now, I was under the belief that the air flow of Oxygen underneath would be enough to keep a nice and slow burn. Not the case apparently. So, the fire started, temperature became ideal, and the hens began to smoke. The smell was lovely. The internal temperature had to reach around 160-170 on the inside of the chicken, while the smoker itself had to get into the 250-280 range. I was lucky because in my first use of my new toy, I was assured that not only was I doing it right, but for a rookie, I would have great tasting chicken by 5:30. So still, I was neurotic. I frequently checked the temperature and soon noticed, I became the center of attention in my court.
“What is that thing?”
“It’s a smoker..”

“Wow….what are you smoking?”
“Chicken”

“You can do that here?”
“Well, I am 300 yards from a structure, so I think we are safe…”
My neighbors were absolutely fascinated. My neighbor Mike was having a cook out in the back of his house where I would see many friends I grew up with. I was shocked to see how old looking people had gotten. My one friend Jeff said, “Dude, you haven’t aged…” I felt like I was in the movie The Time Machine when Filby’s grandson was perplexed by seeing his father’s one time close friend on the streets of London unchanged 30 years later. They joked that they wanted to steal the smoker but that in itself would have been a sight to see. Little did they know how hot it had gotten on the inside. You’d be able to easily tell who stole it…just look for 3rd degree burns on their calves. I felt I was doing everything right. I even had a spraybottle of Apple Juice I was using to hopefully retain a sweet taste to round out the hickory flavor. By 5:45 they would be done. Temperature had reached 163 within the chickens and it was time to take them out. I was excited. I didn’t know if they were done, but they looked like it. My cat Opus was absolutely exhausted from watching me from the screen door. He passed out from both the heat and excitement. I brought one hen to my mom, who thought it was great. Next time however, I have to let them stay till about 167-170. But nonetheless, the chickens were moist and hickory enriched. I was proud. I cleaned my smoker, and thought about the next item to smoke. Maybe a brisket. Or a TURKEY! Wait…Opus will have to get a job first. Then at least I know it will be feasible.
The Great Unfinished
Tonight's show was mellow. I just featured a lot of personal favorites...San Lorenzo, Mei, Inertia, A View From The Sky....etc. I just grabbed what I wanted this week...like a lazy summer day. I played some favorites from Contraction, and the Jaco Pastorius tribute....tonight was more...I don't know...personal. No stress....sometimes, that's a good thing.

Tonight's Program Ran 4 Hours and 6 Minutes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home